Bacteria in baby mattresses
Bacteria generally gets into the core of a baby mattress because of wet accidents. Poo, urine, vomit, dribble, bottle mishaps and any liquid mess in general that gets into the mattress core interior stands a good chance of causing bacteria growth and even mold if to develop if the conditions are right. This can create an unhealthy environment for any baby to sleep in. If bacteria or mold develop in a baby mattress it is strongly advised that it is removed from the child's cot or crib.
Generally a mattress protector of some sort is used to try and prevent liquids getting into the mattress but the problem here is that they do not always function as they are supposed to. The might not be waterproof enough or at all, they may be made from a material with unwanted phthalates (unfortunately common enough), they still let liquids in and around the sides of the mattress, they cause your baby to overheat and be uncomfortable (particularly cheap ones), and they cost money.
Other manufacturers are starting to introduce antimicrobial treatments into the cover fabrics indicating that whatever they are using is healthy. These impregnation treatments are known as biocides, probiotics, and nano technology in some cases. However some worldwide health organisations will point out that we don’t yet know long-term if there are any possible negative effects on our health from the use of biocides in mattresses such as one example silver. PAN International (Pesticide Action Network) say that there is a real possibility that the use of biocides in textiles and mattresses could lead to the development of antibiotic resistant bacteria and this has already been indicated by several laboratory studies. They also say that biocides could pose a direct threat to human health if they lead to the survival of some harmful bacteria which are resistant to antimicrobial products. Its like the antibiotics story, the more we use them, the less effective they become due to the resilience the microbes develop.
Pure Zees do not use any treatments to defeat the dust mite or bacteria. Ours is a safe non-chemical physical barrier method that stops the passage of dust mites and liquids that cause the bacteria and mold developing in the first place and will work for the entire duration of the mattress’s proper use. And besides the health concerns with the other methods, they will also wash out over time and lose their effectiveness.